The WTCC’s second planned visit to Argentina may already be over after a revised schedule is published by the FIA with the event replaced with one in April.
The Argentinean round of the calendar, which would started off the fly-away half of the season, is absent from a new calendar of events published by the FIA yesterday (26th January).
In its place, a round at a circuit and country TBC is listed instead for a new date of April 29th, one week before the Championship’s visit to the Hungaroring which rules out an intercontinental visit to Argentina on that weekend.
If the round has been replaced, it would be the second time in two consecutive years. The Autódromo Juan y Oscar Alfredo Gálvez in Buenos Aires, Argentina was scheduled to host the second round of the 2011 Championship, but was replaced by Zolder, Belgium shortly before the start of the season.
Revised 2012 WTCC Calendar as issued by the FIA on January 26th
11-Mar – Monza, Italy
1-Apr – Valencia Ricardo Tormo, Spain
15-Apr – Marrakech, Morocco
29-Apr – TBC, TBC
6-May – Hungaroring, Hungary
20-May – Salzburgring, Austria
3-Jun – Estoril, Portugal
22-Jul – Curitiba, Brazil
23-Sep – Infineon Raceway, USA
21-Oct – Suzuka, Japan
4-Nov – Shanghai International, China
18-Nov – Macau, China
1. Curitiba and Shanghai are still subject to confirmation by their ASNs’.
2. Valencia is subject to confirmation by the Spanish ASN and homologation of the circuit.
3. Marrakech is subject to confirmation by the Moroccan ASN and the FIA’s agreement.
4. Infineon Raceway is subject to homologation of the circuit.
5. Estoril is subject to contract with the promoter.