Esteban Ocon completes 2016 DTM line-up for Mercedes

Reigning GP3 champion Esteban Ocon completes the line-up of Mercedes for the 2016 DTM season.
“It’s an incredible feeling to be part of such a professional and strong racing series. I’m very pleased to be driving for Mercedes-Benz,” said Ocon.

The 19-year-old replaces reigning DTM champion Pascal Wehrlein who has signed to race for Manor Motorsport in Formula 1.

”We’re aiming for stability in the team after a successful 2015. Esteban Ocon has learned a lot as our test and reserve driver and is ready for his rookie season in the DTM. Esteban proved his talent last year by winning the GP3 Series title. Of course, he still has much to learn, but with his seven team-mates, he can draw on the combined experience of 31 DTM seasons,” said Ulrich Fritz, Head of Mercedes-AMG DTM.

The signing of Ocon is the only change to the Mercedes line-up compared to last year, meaning that Gary Paffett, Paul Di Resta, Robert Wickens, Christian Vietoris, Daniel Juncadella, Lucas Auer and Maximilian Götz remain.

”I’m looking forward to 2016. I had a good season last year with ART during which we learned a great deal together. I myself improved a lot compared to 2014 and have set the benchmark high for this season. I want to continue in the same way this year and do better than last year’s three podium finishes with race wins and challenging for the title if everything goes well,” said Paffett.

The first DTM test of the year will take place at Monteblanco on February 23-25th.

2016 Mercedes DTM Line-Up

#2 Gary Paffett
#3 Paul Di Resta
#6 Robert Wickens
#8 Christian Vietoris
#12 Daniel Juncadella
#22 Lucas Auer
#34 Esteban Ocon
#84 Maximilian Götz