Paul di Resta first driver confirmed for Aston Martin
Paul di Resta is the first confirmed driver by R-Motorsport for their 2019 debut campaign in the DTM, representing the British manufacturer Aston Martin.
Di Resta made his DTM debut in 2007, contesting nine seasons and winning the drivers’ title in 2010. The Scot was a contender for the crown last year with Mercedes, finishing in third place after a dismal finale at Hockenheim.
“I am looking forward to the new DTM season and the challenge to compete with the Aston Martin Vantage DTM car for my new team R-Motorsport,” said di Resta.
“It will certainly be not easy to challenge our competition of experienced teams of big premium manufacturers with our comparatively small outfit. However my impression of our team’s professionalism and ambition is very positive and I’ll go into the preparation of the championship season with a good feeling.
“I can’t wait to drive the Aston Martin Vantage DTM car at the first test on the race track and contribute my part to the development of the new car.”
R-Motorsport had previously stated that they would participate in selected rounds of the 2019 season as their debut car was behind in its development, but have now confirmed they will will be at the season opener at Hockenheim on May 3-5.
“In Paul, we have secured the services of a knowledgeable and experienced driver with an impressive sporting CV,” said R-Motorsport boss Florian Kamelger.
“This signing is a key element in the development of our new Aston Martin Vantage DTM. His experience and natural speed should help us to quickly bring the new DTM car up to a competitive standard.
“We are aware that this is not going to be an easy task for us at R-Motorsport, because in the DTM we are facing competition from works teams who not only have the backing of well-known premium manufacturers but have also grown accustomed to success over the years. But it’s a challenge that we are happy to rise to, and we’re looking forward to the upcoming DTM season.”