Luca Engstler in charge as TCR Asia arrives in Thailand for season finale
Luca Engstler heads into the TCR Asia Series finale at the Bangsaen circuit in Thailand on the brink of securing a second successive title triumph, while team-mate Diego Moran remains within touching distance of the German entering the weekend.
Having won six out of eight races so far this season, the Engstler holds a 30-point advantage over Team Engstler stablemate Moran, with Pepe Oriola (Solite Indigo Racing) a further 28 points in arrears in third.
Just 11 cars will take part in the two races around the 3.700 kilometre street circuit south of Bangkok, but reigning TCR Thailand champion Jakraphan Davee returns to series in his Alpha Factory Racing Team by Pulzar Cupra TCR.
Moran claimed his second win of the year last time out in Shanghai and will be targeting a strong qualifying performance to close the points deficit to Engstler ahead of the first race of the weekend.
Off the back of a pair of second place finishes in China, Oriola remains comfortably ahead of Daniel Miranda in the points standings and has an outside chance of usurping Moran.
The TCR Asia Cup title is also up for grabs in Thailand, as Douglas Khoo remains in touch with Team Oettinger Volkswagen Golf GTI driver Roland Hertner. Khoo, driving a Cupra TCR for Viper Niza Racing is 37 points behind with 55 points on offer.
Qualifying is scheduled to take place on Saturday morning at 08:30am (ICT), with the first of two races scheduled to start at 11:00am (ICT). Race two begins on Sunday at 12:45pm (ICT)
1. Luca Engstler [GER] Liqui Moly Team Engstler Hyundai i30 N TCR
3. Roland Hertner [GER] Volkswagen Team Oettinger Golf GTI TCR*
4. Adam Khalid [MAS] Volkswagen Team Oettinger Golf GTI TCR
20. Daniel Miranda [PHI] Eurasia Motorsport Hyundai i30 N TCR
23. Diego Moran [ECU] Liqui Moly Team Engstler Hyundai i30 N TCR
30. Hua Yang Gao [CHN] Eurasia Motorsport Hyundai i30 N TCR
33. Jakraphan Davee [THA] Alpha Factory Racing Team by Pulzar Cupra TCR
36. David Lau [HKG] Teamwork Motorsport Audi RS 3 LMS TCR*
65. Douglas Khoo [MAS] Viper Niza Racing Cupra TCR*
74. Pepe Oriola [SPA] Solite Indigo Racing Hyundai i30 N TCR
97. Kim Jin Soo [KOR] Solite Indigo Racing Hyundai i30 N TCR